SEARCH NOW:
by title by author

Search This Blog

10.22.2007

BLACK POWER REDEFINED

to

Today, while at the library I picked up a book put together by James Melvin Washington entitled A Testament of Hope The Essential Writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. Before that I read portions of Martin Luther King, Jr The FBI File written by Micheal Friedly and David Gallen. This made me think especially of my Black American Blogger Counterparts. We often write and respond back and forth on issues that Black Americans face today. Many times topics and comments are harsh, blunt and one sided then others are lighthearted and funny. Personally, I get upset to still have to discuss race as an issue and determining factor in our efforts for success. I do feel however that there is a strong brotherhood among us and an even strong sense of responsibility to be active daily in The Movement of creating a social change. After reading the books I noted above I was moved to want to share my feelings with you all. These are the words they amounted to:

It is the year 2007 and the word "nigger" is still in debate and is recognized as a slang reference aimed at Black American people. However the situation is much more complicated, Black Americans have taken on the role of using the word when making references to one another, positively or negatively. A funeral was held to symbolically bury it. It is still being use mostly within the community of Black Americans and within Hip Hop music. Letting the word go and embracing each other as a culture striving for equality, once and for all is an issue of controversy as we speak. As social activists for the rights of the underprivileged we must change our thinking of the word and boycott it. I interact closely with people outside of my race and am embarrassed of the hip hop culture and am embarrassed to listen to the music or have it playing when others are around. The connotations of the songs are extremely negative. This is not something Black Americans should embrace as a part of life. It is nothing for anyone of any color to embrace.

I have often stated the questions of the hip hop industry, "Are there less times when you are together with their families eating dinner, having a wholesome conversation? Why is the mainstream focusing on listening to such a negative influence? Can fans want to hear rap songs about the good times without the negative connotations? The morals of the entertainer seem to keep declining as the demand for it increases. Of course, I see rap as a form of art. Now is the time though for hip hop artists to take a stand for something positive for mainstream media and for the future of Black America. I do also strongly believe in freedom of speech. We are still struggling and need to raise the standards of our social climate. This is my opinion of Black power. We have to give our people hope, positive thoughts and influences to impact a change against racial discrimination that is still prevalent to this day. This is us and we are Black power redefined.

We must stay conscious of our efforts and as Dr. Martin Luther King said, "Power is not the white man's birthright; it will not be legislated for us and delivered in neat government packages. It is a social force any group can utilize by accumulating its elements in a planned, deliberate campaign to organize its own control."

1 comment:

  1. The "N-word" is a problem now because the negative social connotations it has taken on in rap music. The use of the word nigger vs nigga is not a new phenomenon. If you take a closer look at the Harlem Renaissance you will see that a lot of black authors and educators that we hold in esteem, used the word for both it's negative and positive connotations.

    I don't remember reading about a great debate then. Toni Morrison one of my favorite writers also use the word to show the separation of social classes within the black community, i.e. blacks vs them other blacks.

    Honestly, I believe in the creative power of black people, and we have consistently taken negatives and use our creative genius to re-work them in our favor.

    I believe artist have a right to use it, and I believe we have a right as a race to change the connotation. I believe the point is to make the word off limits to whites, who used the word to degrade us, but to embrace it ourselves to show a shift in power.

    I know we will agree disagree. I don't use the word myself because I do not want my children using it without understanding the history of the word, and choices one makes when deciding to use it for whatever reasons. If we simply stop saying, it won't go away that dynamic will still exist and hurt behind it will once again increase.

    ReplyDelete

Erika loves comments!

Erika's View Blog Archive a.k.a Memory Lane